Shiraz is one of the major cities in Iran and the capital of Fars province. Shiraz is located in the central part of Fars province, at an altitude of 1,486 meters above sea level and in the Zagros Mountains, with moderate climate. Shiraz has been considered as one of the most important tourist centers in Iran, and is known for its many historical attractions for domestic and foreign tourists.
According to the history of Iran, Cambridge University Press, “permanent residence in the city of Shiraz may reach the Sassani era and even earlier.” But the first authentic references to this city dates back to the early Islamic era. According to the Islamic Encyclopedia, Shiraz is a city that built in the Islamic era in a place that has been a permanent habitat since the Sasanian or perhaps before.
Quran Gate is one of the gates of the ancient period in Shiraz, which today is considered as one of the historical monuments of this city.
Samikan fire Temple
Samikan Fire Temple is one of the fire temples around Shiraz. The archaism dates back to the Sassanid era. Samikan Fire Temple is located 140 km south of Shiraz.
Hafez’s Tomb is the name of a tomb in the north of the city of Shiraz and in the south of the Qoran gate. This tomb mansion is a tomb of one of the great poets of Iran, Hafez, who lived in the fourth century AD.
Khaju Kermani Tomb
Khaju Kermani is the greatest poet of Kerman city, who left his birthplace and traveled a lot. Finally, he died in Shiraz. His tomb is located in the north of Shiraz, on the slopes of Mount Sabohi and at the beginning of the Shiraz-Isfahan road, in Tangollah Akbar. His grave overlooks the gate of the Qur’an. The water of the famous spring of Ruknabad passes through the Khaju mausoleum.
The tomb of Saadi, known as Sa’dia, is the place where Saadi, a prominent Persian poet, lived and was buried. This Mansion has been designed by Mohsen Forooghi. This tomb is located in the north east of Shiraz.
Karim Khan Arg
The Karim Khani Arg is located in downtown of Shiraz. This citadel was built during the reign of the Zandian dynasty and became known as the Karim Khani Arg, after Karim Khan drove the city of Shiraz as its capital and chosen this place as its place of residence. During the reign of the Pahlavi Dynasty, it was used as a jail. Then it was transferred to the Department of Art and Culture of the time. This great building is now under the control of the Cultural Heritage Organization of the Islamic Republic of Iran. From a few years ago, the restoration of this building has begun to be used as the great Fars museum. The construction of the citadel was carried out between 1766 and 1767 and Karim Khan used the best architects to make it. This building was used during the Zandieh period as a place of government and in the Qajar period as a place of local governors.
Jahan nama Garden
The garden is located in the northeast of Shiraz.
It is a historic Persian garden in Shiraz, with several monuments and botanical gardens.
Takht garden is one of the historical works of Shiraz. This garden is located in the northern heights of the city and on the slopes of Mount Babakouhi and is located in one of the military barracks of Shiraz. The garden was built by “Atabak Gharashi” in 480 AH and became known as the “Gharchet Takht”. In 1260 AH and at the same time as the Qajar dynasty, this garden grew wider, and a new mansion was built, called the “Qajar Takht”.
The Cheheltan Garden is one of the most famous gardens in Shiraz. This garden has been constructed in Zandieh period.
Delgosha Garden is one of the historical gardens of Shiraz and is located in the area of Saadi’s Tomb. The history of the development of this garden dates back to the pre-Islamic period and the time of the Sassani rule.
Afif Abad Garden
This garden with an area of 127,000 square meters is one of the most beautiful historical gardens in Shiraz. This garden during the Safavid period was one of the most important gardens and kings’ gardens. In this period, this garden was used by the Safavi kings. In the Qajar period, Mirza Ali Khan Ghavam al-Mulk bought the garden and began renovating the garden and built a beautifully decorated mansion. Ghavam II bought a flume near the garden to irrigate it. At the end of the Qajar era, the garden comes to the hands of Afifeh Khanum. she has been transforming and improving this garden, and the garden is known as Afif Abad. But the heirs of the garden, at the time of Pahlavi , gave it to Farah Pahlavi, wife of Mohammad Reza Shah. In 1340, the army buys the garden at auction, after the Islamic Revolution and the efforts of the Army of the Islamic Republic and at the same time as the army day on April 29, 1370, the Afif Abad Garden becomes the No. 2 Military Museum of the country.
This House has become the Museum of Traditional and Rhythmic Clothing in Iran in order to preserve and restore the traditional arts of Iran by the Cultural Heritage Organization.
Haft Tan garden
This garden is one of the oldest historical places in Shiraz. Most tourists who have traveled to Shiraz in the last few centuries have described the garden and its beautiful mansion. The people of Shiraz also have a special attachment to this place. The reason for naming this mansion is the seven graves of seven mystics in this garden, which Karim Khan Zand has installed on each one a large stone without a set.
Morteza Ali Well
Morteza Ali is one of the historical and spectacular monuments of Shiraz. This building is located in the north of the city and in the “Mount Hafttanan”. There is a multi-level mansion around the well of Morteza Ali that is intended for the worship of the mystics. The depth of the well is three meters and two cisterns are around it.
The garden is one of the historical buildings of Zandieh era in Shiraz. The building is an octagonal mansion built by Karim Khan Zand in Shiraz, where the magnificent mansion was a place of reception of guests, foreign ambassadors and various official ceremonies and festivals. After the death of Karim Khan, he was buried in this place, but Aqha Mohammad Khan, in 1206, because of slaughter, ordered to transfer his bones to the Golestan Palace, and at the time of Reza Shah the bones were returned back and buried in this place again.
Ilkhani Garden Mansion
This garden is one of the historic mansions of Shiraz, located in the Shah’s Square neighborhood. It was built by Mohammad Gholikhan Ilkhani, one of the Ghashghaee Ilkhans. It is one of the most famous gardens of the Qajar period.
Nasir Al-Molk Mosque
This mosque was built by the order of Mirza Hassan Ali Kah, Nasir al-Molk, who was a member of the Shiraz aristocracy. The architecture of this work was Mohammed Hassan Memar. Its construction lasted about 12 years from 1255 to 1267.
Abu Nasr castle
The castle of Abu Nasr is on the top of a hill in the form of remnants of monuments and a stone fence, brick walls, adobe buildings and stone thresholds, six kilometers east of Shiraz (it should be noted that it was six kilometers away and Currently it is part of Shiraz city). According to the excavations carried out in this place, samples of pottery and stoneware pieces of Hakhamaneshi cemetery have been discovered.
Aqha Babakhan School, Vakil School
This school is related to Zandieh era.
The Castle is one of the historical castles of Fars province, which is located around the city of Shiraz. The castle dates back to the 6th century AH and is considered one of the Ismaili castles. The fortresses are located in the Tangsam valley and in the east of the plain “Razm Javid”.
Khan school is a historical school that was built by Allahwardi Khan Gurji and his son Imam Gholi Khan in the city of Shiraz and simultaneously with the rule of Shah Abbas Safavi. Allahwardi Khan Gurji, with this act, founded a university in the true sense of the day, in where, wisdom, jurisprudence, literature, astronomy, arithmetic, geometry, geology, zoology, botany and chemistry, were taught.
Persepolis was the ceremonial capital of the Achaemenid Empire. It is situated 60 km northeast of the city of Shiraz. The earliest remains of Persepolis date back to 515 BC. It exemplifies the Achaemenid style of architecture. UNESCO declared the ruins of Persepolis a World Heritage Site in 1979. Persepolis is near the small river Pulvar, which flows into the Kur River. After invading Achaemenid Persia in 330 BC, Alexander the Great sent the main force of his army to Persepolis by the Royal Road. He stormed the “Persian Gates”, a pass through modern-day Zagros Mountains. There Ariobarzanes of Persis successfully ambushed Alexander the Great’s army, inflicting heavy casualties. After being held off for 30 days, Alexander the Great outflanked and destroyed the defenders. Ariobarzanes himself was killed either during the battle or during the retreat to Persepolis. Some sources indicate that the Persians were betrayed by a captured tribal chief who showed the Macedonians an alternate path that allowed them to outflank Ariobarzanes in a reversal of Thermopylae. After several months, Alexander allowed his troops to loot Persepolis. Around that time, a fire burned “the palaces”. Scholars agree that this event, described in historic sources, occurred at the ruins that have been now re-identified as Persepolis. From Stolze’s investigations, it appears that at least one of these, the castle built by Xerxes I, bears evident traces of having been destroyed by fire. The locality described by Diodorus Siculus after Cleitarchus corresponds in important particulars with the historic Persepolis, for example, in being supported by the mountain on the east. It is believed that the fire which destroyed Persepolis started from Hadish Palace, which was the living quarters of Xerxes I, and spread to the rest of the city. It is not clear if the fire was an accident or a deliberate act of revenge for the burning of the Acropolis of Athens during the second Persian invasion of Greece. Many historians argue that while Alexander’s army celebrated with a symposium, they decided to take revenge against the Persians In that case; it would be a combination of the two. In 316 BC, Persepolis was still the capital of Persia as a province of the great Macedonian Empire. About 200 BC, the city of Estakhr, five kilometers north of Persepolis, was the seat of the local governors. From there, the foundations of the second great Persian Empire were laid, and there Estakhr acquired special importance as the center of priestly wisdom and orthodoxy. The Sasanian kings have covered the face of the rocks in this neighborhood, and in part even the Achaemenid ruins, with their sculptures and inscriptions. They must themselves have been built largely there, although never on the same scale of magnificence as their ancient predecessors. The Romans knew as little about Estakhr as the Greeks had known about Persepolis, despite the fact that the Sasanians maintained relations for four hundred years, friendly or hostile, with the empire.
At the time of the Muslim invasion of Persia, Estakhr offered a desperate resistance. It was still a place of considerable importance in the first century of Islam, although its greatness was speedily eclipsed by the new metropolis of Shiraz. In the 10th century, Estakhr dwindled to insignificance, as seen from the descriptions of Estakhri, a native (c. 950), and of Al-Muqaddasi (c. 985). During the following centuries, Estakhr gradually declined, until it ceased to exist as a city.
The tomb of Great Cyrus is a monument with a unique architecture, located about 1 km southwest of the Pasargad palaces.